Re: [Hampshire] vsftpd confusion

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] vsftpd confusion

As an addition the anonymous user cant download files, regardless of the
/home/ftp folder permissions. :(

> The owner or group ID of vsftp must be writeable to that folder, doesn't have
> to be 666/777, but say vsftp user is vsftp and group is vsftp, just make the
> folder writeable to that group, chown :vsftp /home/ftp; chmod g+w /home/ftp
>
> Either UID or GID writable will work, but if the folder is owned by your user
> too, you may just want to make the folder that vsftp writeable to group.

Thanks for the tips. Haven't had a chance to try this yet but I will. As
a more general thought...I am going to use this server to allow
volunteers at my church to access media for of site slide prep. Given
there are only a handful, would it not be simpler a maybe safer to give
them accounts on the ftp server and have them login securely?

TIA
Mike