Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Smartphones
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 14:27:59 +0100
john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:

> Of course I am still very much a 'stick in the mud' as far as
> new-fangled gadgets are concerned

<snipped>

Having said that I remembered that a few weeks ago I upgraded my camera
to a Pentax K-r, which is a step up from the Fuji Finepix S5600 bridge
camera I've been using for a couple of years, so 'stick in the mud'
isn't strictly true ;-)

I picked the Pentax because it will use the K-a mount lenses I have
left over from the days when I was using a Pentax ME Super. I still
have it but even if film was easier to get I don't think I want to
give up the benefits of having digital images.

And in theory lenses should be cheaper as they don't need image
stabilisation built-in to each lense as the camera body has the
software for this.

I only got the 18-55 lens with the camera but one day when my wife
isn't looking I'll get the matching 55-300 lense (not the 50-200 one
that was sold with the twin lense kit).

The Tamron 75-210 K-a mount lense I'm currently using doesn't quite
have the range I'd like as the two together barely matches the zoom
capability of the Fuji I'd been using (38-380 equivalent)

The Tamron doesn't give me auto-focussing either but that isn't really
a problem.

The Pentax is much better in one respect than the Fuji. I was using
the Fuji to take lots of photos in quick succession and quickly
realised I was trying to take pics faster than the camera allowed.

The Pentax 'reloads' quicker so I don't miss pics as I did with the
Fuji, I also found it has a multi-image setting which I don't think
the Fuji has (I've lent it to my son-in-law so cannot check). Plus it
has many more options in its software though I can't see me using the
built-in filters very often.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid