Re: [Hampshire] Data Destruction

Top Page
Author: Damian L Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Data Destruction

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5778a100.hantslug.org.uk.20423': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Oct 7 10:19:52 2011 BST
gpg: using RSA key E5B6AC918A7E551C
Good morning group,

On Fri, 2011-10-07 at 09:05 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 6 October 2011 18:46, Rob Malpass <linux@???> wrote:
> > Hi all

> > Yes this old chestnut again. Like most of us I guess, I have quite a few
> > old hdds and we're now in chuck away mood. Physically I'll be disposing of
> > these in as environmentally friendly a way as I can but destroying data is,
> > as I remember, a bit tricky. I know data can be recovered even if you wipe
> > the partition etc so here's my plan - any ideas how robust this is??

> If you really have to erase all trace of the data, you should really
> have thought about that before writing it to the HD.
> Normal practice now is to use whole disk encryption.
> Then, to erase the whole disk, just erase the key.

Despite the popular media connotations and mention of TLA organisations,
with regards to spurious data stored on hard disk drives, this issue
shouldn't be marred. What is very valuable in this new economy, is BI -
business intelligence. An obvious example of BI is customer data. Less
obvious is evidence of marketing objectives. For example, after I have
been on contract, during which, if my own hardware was used to undertake
tasks - then the hardware gets wiped or stronger, depending on agreed or
implied NDA levels. Insurance is also a consideration.

Best
Damian

--
Interlinux Engineering Foundation http://www.interlinux.org.uk

Central, non-trading, administration, governance and dissemination of
foundation intellectual property and know-how.

GPG 8A7E551C
--
Please post to: Hampshire@???