Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and Intel H61 chipset

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu and Intel H61 chipset
On Monday 10 October 2011 19:49:37 Roger Munford wrote:
> The motherboard on my PC is showing signs of failure and it is time for
> a replacement.

Roger -

Can you describe these signs of failure? What led you to believe that it is
the motherboard at fault?

I am having major problems at the moment and am having difficulty deciding the
cause. I have run memtest, smartctl, and badblocks. What else can I do?

smartctl showed some errors on the drive that holds the / system (/home is on
a different drive) so I have ordered a new HDD, but I am now worrying that I
may be throwing good money after bad, since I have had to order an IDE drive,
which would have limited use in more modern machine.

So - what led you to the conclusion that the problem in your case is the
motherboard?

Thanks,
Lisi

--