Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Big IMAP accounts

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Big IMAP accounts
On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 11:43 +0100, Graeme Hilton wrote:
> If they're sending/receiving lots of large files then I don't think
> IMAP is the solution. Something like Dropbox should be able to offer
> a better solution. Or even Google Docs - 1GB free then $5 for an
> additional 20GB.

I have to say I was also thinking that and agree with that.
Apart from anything else, mail attachments are ascii-encoded, so
always(?) come out 33% bigger than the original file.

What about cloud storage.
I'm using livedrive.com(*), who offer some public+private combinations
especially for this kind of thing, though they're rather
Windoze-centric.

Googling "Cloud Storage" give lots of likely hits.

Rackspace, DropBox, Livedrive, (IIRC Google do one that, almost
strangely, isn't on page 1). 'Ubuntu One', though at first glance they
appear expensive.

(*) because I have their 'backup' option bundled free by my ISP.

ATB,
    Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott            www.gscott.co.uk