Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Linux distro recommendations

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Linux distro recommendations

On Sat, October 29, 2011 16:02, Samuel Penn wrote:
> To me, that sounds like "it's your fault if you don't like it".

Sadly, I have to agree here.

> The target very obviously isn't people who like KDE because it
> gives them lots of control over their desktop. Gnome/Unity takes away
> options (or makes them harder to find) with every release, and unless the
> new defaults are exactly what you like, then that's a bad thing.
>
> I've only been trying Ubuntu for less than a year, but in that
> time every upgrade seems to undo my configuration and makes it harder to
> get back to how I want things. I'm now at the point where I'm afraid to
> update my computer, and that rebuilding from scratch with Gentoo might be
> the least painful option.

OK, you mentioned KDE. At the risk of being flamed to death by the mere
mention of it, why are you not giving it a go? KDE is currently on
4.7.2,in 11.10, so it has had years to mature and improve since the 4.0
disaster. While as a desktop environment it is far from perfect (heck, it
mimics That Other OS! Gasp!), it works very well indeed. I would not run
it on an old P3 450, but it runs quite cheerfully on P4 (with compositing
switched off) and positively hums on newer hardware.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins

--