Re: [Hampshire] CLI XML diff (and patch?) tools?

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CLI XML diff (and patch?) tools?
On Sunday 30 October 2011 19:40:56 Andy Random wrote:
> I'm writing a "report script" which checks for differences in two XML
> files and emails them to non-tech people. Just sending them a plain diff
> of the files simply causes confusion because the don't understand XML.

It sounds like the best (though not simplest) approach would be to
write something to parse the files and compare the actual content,
rather than comparing the XML.

Output the configuration options as a table, listing options which
are different with the two values.

Depending on the actual structure of the files, this could be either
really easy or very hard to do.

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn