Re: [Hampshire] test message

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] test message

> The slow server day was also the very day that I finally gave up on
> courtesy bounces.

Bounces are not a courtesy; they are a significant part of the spam problem.

If you don't want an email *reject* it. Do not take it from the proffering
MTA. Otherwise, if it is mis-addressed, you either swallow it (with any
innocent originator not knowing what has happened, and so assuming that
delivery went OK as per the mail log), or else you bounce it with the
ever-growing likelihood that you've just sent a penis pill spam with a
bounce notice to someone who has nothing whatsoever to do with the
conversation.

> I now let my ISP do most of it.

I find that ISPs never actually do what I want them to. Many of them seem
to employ what I shall refer to as a spectrum of technical competence[1].
They also lose my traceability (which is important to me).

> Seems to work OK as I lose little I expect, and I see little I don't
> expect.

How do you deal with creating many unique email addresses? What do you do
with the inevitable spam that comes to them?

Vic.

[1] The ISP I used to work for had one guy who was absolutely amazing.
Knew everything. Couldn't be faulted. But you'd usually end up with
someone else "dealing"[2] with the ticket...

[2] And I use the word quite wrongly, of course.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???