Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to rec…

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to recent Win-SBS?

> There are pros and cons for both OpenVPN and IPSec.

There is a huge downside for IPSec if you're running stuff behind a NAT
router - you need to be able to route protocols that aren't TCP or UDP.
Many (predominantly cheap) NAT routers simply won't do this.

IPSec can work through NAT, but it's not pretty. A former colleague of
mine used to get /29 subnets for his customers just so he could put the
IPSec-capable servers on a routable address. I cringed, but he was my
boss...

Vic.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???