Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to rec…

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS torecentWin-SBS?
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PPTP VPN from Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS to recentWin-SBS?
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback.

On 17/11/2011 18:37, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> I would make sure the company put in a purpose built VPN gateway so
> that people can connect with normal VPN clients, such as CISCO,
> JUNIPER, Checkpoint etc.
> There are very cheap VPN boxes out there from about £50 upwards, and
> they actually work!

I'm not sure which model our router is, I'll check next time I'm in the
office (or maybe 'phone and ask), but it's definitely a Draytek Vigor
with WiFi and three aerials, which seems from Draytek's site to suggest
it already supports a number of VPN connection methods.

One of the support company's arguments for offering only PPTP was that
our available bandwidth is too low to allow too many other machines to
have VPN access. My counter was that what I wanted to do was have a copy
of the relevant data from their fileserver on my fileserver and
synchronise overnight, when I'll have a minimal effect on other users
and also do the data transfers off-tarrif (midnight to 8am).

Time I think to make my case more assertively.

ATB,
         Gordon.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???