[Hampshire] Random ssl & vnc disconnection

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Random ssl & vnc disconnection
Hi all

My 64-bit lucid box has developed a rather irritating fault which my lack of
knowledge can't fix. While the ethernet side of things looks solid - I'm
getting random disconnections when I'm vnc'd or ssh'd into it. Also (again
periodically and without apparent reason) it refuses to let me in either
through vnc or ssh.

I've installed wireshark and looked in /var/log but such information as is
in either of these is all Greek to me! FWIW the client is always a Windows
7 machine. Here's what I've checked:

* Firestarter - nothing obvious and besides which - with no change to the
settings sometimes it lets me in, sometimes not - ditto establishing a new
connection.

* hosts.equiv, hosts.allow

What I've not checked:

* network cable - but there are no obvious dropouts in a terminal pinging
the router with the -t option

* using a different client which may be Windows or something else.

Anybody know is this is a known issue?

Cheers

Rob

--