Re: [Hampshire] Database design for an address book

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Database design for an address book
On 19/12/2011 20:39, Andy Smith wrote:
> It will still be the most complex set of relationships in the
> application as it stands (there are some three way joins in other
> parts), but I guess that is human beings for you; always complicate
> matters. :)

DO not forget many clients will ask for features they want but do not actually need.
Its all about cost-benefit. My question is are you cetrain they really want this
set of features and understand the costs?

FYI: I did something like this a year or three back - in the end I rolled
some pg functions and triggers that re-used things such as addresses.

I did not apply flexible rules requiring specific details for specific contacts as
this was not a requirement however using any one of the many forms engines
this should not be difficult to implement "front-end" and you could keep
mandatory/optional field details for each "contact type".

I dont have any free time right now but I will see if $boss is OK with publishing
the address dedupe code that was so usefull in this app.

Rolling the pg API inclduing the contact type stuff was relatively noddy.

I assume you have a decent database design/CM tool?

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???