Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VDSL equipment
On 01/01/2012 16:15, Stephen Davies wrote:

> I wouldn't try connecting the RJ45 output from the Modem to a PC.
> You are not going to have any firewall or routing.

I thought the usual linux PPPOA/E drivers did all of this for you?

My "dumb" virgin cablemodem is plugged direct into a network card and
is drived by a ONE line PPP config file.

Likewise we have even dumber devices at work connecting to BT/ZEN DSL's and there have
very simple configs required. The other advantage of such a config is you free up
another IP from your block as the "modem" does not need/grab an IP itself.
One extra free IP out of 8 is well worth the time. ANotehr advantage is that the PC
(in my case a server) can drive the DSL line more reliably than a sub 400UKP modem).
In the original works line case the server even outperformed a 450UKP modem!

The linux firewall side of things does not have to be complex and is well worth the effort
- especially if you have more than one internet connection.

> You will have t oconfigure your PC to do the signon/auth as well. I wouldn't bother.

FWICR The virgin DOCSIS3 DSL modems download config from virgin and I doubt they would work with
another service provider without you hacking them...

The pppoe/a login for the account (via a configured/working modem) should be noddy
if you have the correct drivers. I have had problems with zen as some versions of linux
(server stuff) have problems with applying MTU limitations for PPPOA/E but this is well
documented and again noddy once you find the right workaround/fix.

If someone wants to try and get a linux box to talk pppoe/a I would be happy to help.

Jacqui

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???