[Hampshire] KVM and keyboard problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] KVM and keyboard problem
I posted about this a couple of months ago, unfortunately I have not
been able to resolve the problem. The basic are I have a small KVM which
I use to switch between my Windows and Debian (testing with XFCE 4.8)
PC's. When I ran Mepis 8 & 11 (based on Debian) and Mint Debian edition
I used to be able to double tap the num lock key and the kvm would
switch to my windows box. But since switching my PC to Debian testing
and XFCE if I double tap the numlock key nothing happens, (I can
apparently use the scrl lock key but get the same result). The tapping
is still registered by the keyboard as indicated by the keyboard light
going on and off. Double tapping the num lock while in windows will
switch the kvm over to the Debian box.

I have spoken to Avocent tech support and they told me quote

"The problem may be with the USB keyboard emulation table (OS Issue).
The result in the guest OS are not being able to receive these keys at
all when the USB keyboard emulation is being used. From what I know
there is a patch which could solve this issue"

Now I don't know if they are spinning me a line or not but I have not
been able to find any information online or any other reports of similar
problems (most are keyboard, mouse or both not working on a new setup).

I have tried a couple of different keyboard including a usb laptop style
keyboard where I reconfigured the keyboard in debian to that of a laptop
layout but got the same results. At the moment I have the keyboard set
to Generic 105 keys.

I don't know if this is a Debian or XFCE problem, personally I think it
is Debian as XFCE is set to accept system keyboard settings. Where would
I look to find out the different version of files that control the
keyboard. Any thoughts?

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???