Re: [Hampshire] Help! I'm buying a laptop.

Author: alan c
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Help! I'm buying a laptop.
On 12/01/12 22:05, Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Thursday 12 January 2012 17:28:41 Paul Tansom wrote:
>> On a related note, does anyone have any experience of the laptops sold by
>> Novatech? I'm considering whether to use them for a no-OS installed laptop
>> to put Linux on, so if anyone knows of hardware issues with any current
>> ones, or build quality issues - or perhaps how easy it is to get
>> replacement batteries for them when the time comes.
>
> I'm thinking along the same lines, but haven't been able to find any
> good information on how well Linux works with them. I did think of
> popping into their Reading branch last weekend to see if I could
> obtain any better info, but dropped the idea when I realised that
> they don't seem to have many Laptops in stock in Reading.

I think they do have a good range at Reading why do you think otherwise?

I have on two occasions informally discussed with the (manager?) at
Reading the possibility of using a Ubuntu Live CD with agreement, to
check what the laptops can do - or not. It is an occasional but
repeating problem for me. Also I would be in principle be happy to
post reports on to the novatech linux forum if and when it happens.

On both occasions the guy (whoever) said ok in principle.
I am a returning customer: they can see on their system. They would, I
think be nervous unless one of their guys could be part of the action
- I guess their bonus is at stake re damage, and retail can be a
bloody affair including from customers. So trust and competence is
relevant.

They recommended I think a very quiet time such as a Monday (morning??)

I have not had the need nor the time yet to try it but I look forward
to when I can.

One factor (a bit of putting at first) is that they all seem top wear
MS logo T shirts, but I think writing a few notes on the back of your
cheque book might also help.

let us know?
--
alan cocks