Re: [Hampshire] Open source communities survival during econ…

Author: John Cooper
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Open source communities survival during economic change
On 22/01/12 16:56, Damian L Brasher wrote:
> Hi Community
>
> I have become increasingly aware during the past three years, how the
> existence of open source software is being taken for granted - on a
> number of levels.
>
> Many industry sectors are turning to open source as a cheap alternative
> to proprietary solutions. This makes a huge amount of sense. The
> financial benefits can be felt very quickly.

From my point of view having just seen a windows 7 deployment at huge
cost and still doesn't give the users what they want, perhaps things
will change. Plus we have M$ SQL servers failing at 3 times a week.
Thankfully I only support the Linux side and we have had huge success in
deploying new servers and databases with the minimum of maintenance and
the users love them. We are trying to replace a costly learning system
with the new kid on the block and part of that will be to help improve
the code. It is a big step for any organisation but we might just make
the leap. As one of the first RHEL6 RHCEs I am now deploying it and it
has already make a huge difference with SELinux and the latest packages.
I see open source really taking off this year with normally M$ centric
organisations. The desire to save money will turn to realise how stable
and flexible the systems are. This will make them support open source
code and change the culture. It will happen!

John.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???