Re: [Hampshire] ntpd vs. ptpd

Author: Ian Grody
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ntpd vs. ptpd
On Tuesday 24 January 2012 18:15:06 James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have experience of both ntp and ptp ?
> Which is likely to be better (keep them synced to the best accuracy
> and lowest variance) at syncing three PCs on a LAN without a switch
> that supports ptp?
> My understanding is that in order for ptp to be better than ntp, the
> network switch has to also support ptp.
> Kind Regards
>
> James
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

TBH I still use NTP. There is nothing I have that requires the high precision
of PTP.

In essence, you only need multicast support since this is how it conveys it's
messages, but is also rumored to be runnable in unicast mode.

If you require high precision time, PTP maybe a better option for you as it
has methods to account for network latency in conveying time messages.

Give it a poke and see what works best for you :-)

Ian

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???