Re: [Hampshire] crippled system - is there any hope.

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] crippled system - is there any hope.
On 8 April 2012 00:52, Mike Burrows <testermike@???> wrote:

>>> Is there anything i can do to roll back to my earlier version please?
>>
>> Restore from the backup you made before upgrading? [:-)]
>

> Hi Keith I didn't backup the system because I was only using the box as a
> file server and I have the files duplicated elsewhere.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe I have upgraded the kernel,
> simply various packages to "squeeze". Otherwise the udev wouldn't have issue
> the warning would it? Anyhow, I am confident enough to give your method a
> try.
>

>> What I would caution, though, is this: before following any advice, either
>> from me or anyone else, make sure you either a) understand what the advice
>> is telling you to do or b) are prepared to lose all your data, system
>> configuration, etc.
>
> Thanks also for the advice. You make the same point as Mr. Courtier-Dutton
> though somewhat more tactfully. :)
> Mike

Sorry. tack++. (More tack needed)

The quickest way to fix your system is it get to a state where the
kernel likes udev, and visa versa.
If you have done an upgrade, you have probably upgraded most things,
so the rest of your linux install probably now is compatible with the
new udev that has installed. So, the best move now it to upgrade your
kernel to match.
Now, there is a boot tool called "grub" that can give you a menu of
possible kernels to boot.
During your upgrade, the system should have upgraded udev and the
kernel together.
It did not for whatever reason.
During the boot process, the BIOS runs first, then grub, then a kernel
of choice from /boot partition.
One reason it did not install a new kernel could be that /boot has ran
out of space.
If you boot a live CD, you should be able to mount /boot from the
command line, and see which kernels are there.
Find out which kernel you need that matches the udev and copy it onto /boot

Then, during boot up, press the SHIFT key or the UP or DOWN key, and
the grub boot menu should appear, letting you manually (by pressing
the C key to a command line) boot the kernel you have just copied
across
You can have as many kernels as you wish on /boot, the only limit is
disk space for the /boot partition.
A new kernel will consist of a vmlinux... and a initrd....
I hope this helps a bit.

One of the most common reasons, is

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???