[Hampshire] Transaction based upgrades.

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Transaction based upgrades.
Hi,

After reading the "crippled system" thread, I think it might be a good
idea if Linux was able to do transaction based upgrades.
In that thread, what happened is the user space udev package got
upgraded, and the matching kernel package did not.
I think it would have been better if udev would not upgrade itself
unless a compatible kernel also managed to upgrade.
I.e. Both in one transaction.
Maybe a "try upgrade X" method, which would try the upgrade, but not
actually do it, but instead ensure that the upgrade would actually
work. I.e. Enough spare disk space on / and /boot
If there is not enough free space on /boot, an upgrade of the kernel
is unlikely to succeed, because it is always sensible to have a spare
older kernel to fall back on.

I have run into problems of a whole system upgrading the userspace
files, and then the kernel upgrade fails due to lack of space on
/boot.
Fortunately, I am able to spot this, before rebooting, so I can go
about fixing the problem that might have otherwise resulted in an
unbootable system.
But, it would be useful to know if after some failed upgrade, is it
safe to reboot or not?

Kind regards

James

--