Re: [Hampshire] Quiet and cool PC running?

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Quiet and cool PC running?
Thin client idea - funny you should say that because I do have the
"ingredients" already to do that! But for me doing development would become
a bit of chore because of having to await two machines to boot up instead
of one. Also the wife would not tolerate another server in my "data centre"
(aka "behind the living room sofa") so I would be back to square one with
respects to noise.

To answer some other questions - I never buy current generation hardware to
be honest and I like to grab a bargain where I can. I think I could get a
used Gigabyte-brand mobo + good C2D + 4GB for around £60. I think that
would be fine for my purposes for a few years. I never play games, strictly
productivity stuff and web-browsing really. As long as the system can
*quietly* run Debian Squeeze with Gnome 2 (and eventually Ubuntu 12.04 with
Unity 3D) in 1900x1200 (my GPU is a GeForce 8400GS PCI-e) with my usual
session: several gnome-terminals, Chrome with ~10 tabs open, Clemantine
playing music in the background, gedit, XChat and usual LAMP services such
as MySQL, Apache2, modperl etc then I will be very happy. Phew - listing
all that makes me think I should go for quad-core :-)

The P4 actually exposes 2 logical cores (via Hyper-threading I think) to
the OS and normally the load keeps low - however YouTube, Picasa and other
stuff seems to push the loadav to 3 or 4+ very easily. Thats when the
temperature rises and the fan noise kicks in.

On 1 May 2012 23:11, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:

> On May 1, 2012 5:45 PM, "Tim Brocklehurst" <timb@???>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 01 May 2012 22:37:46 James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > > It depends what you are doing with it. You could use a thin client to
> > > connect to your faster pc. Put the pc far away from you so the noise
> does
> > > not matter.
> > > I do this when writing software or processing data sets. Let a fast
> remote
> > > system do the hard work needing the fans etc.
> > >
> > > James
> >
> > Teradici defined standards for KVM over IP (with a "zero client" on your
> desk)
> > a while ago, and we have been using the Dell variant of the kit (FX100)
> for
> > quite a while at work. It's very good stuff, but I wouldn't use it at
> home due
> > to the price!
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of VNC, or X over ssh on a 1gig local
> LAN.
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65 F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)
--
Please post to: Hampshire@???