Re: [Hampshire] [Surrey] Aldershot Hackspace?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Surrey] Aldershot Hackspace?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58243100.hantslug.org.uk.4916': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri May 11 16:28:05 2012 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hello,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 03:13:48PM +0100, Jan Henkins wrote:
> On 11/05/12 14:40, Freaky Clown wrote:
> >Anyway a few of us folks are looking at a possibility of a Hackspace
> >based in aldershot - working on the basis that membership would be
> >about £20/month to start with how many people would be genuinely up for joining?

I am nowhere near Aldershot but once you've got a location, if you
need a web presence then BitFolk will be happy to provide you with a
VPS for free, as we already do for:

- London Hackspace
- HAC:Manchester
- fizzPOP (Birmingham)
- Reading Hackspace
- One more that's still setting up and doesn't want to be named yet

> Just in case people balk at the £20 per month idea, that is what the
> London Hackspace needs in order to exist.

Rent in London is probably a lot higher than rent in Aldershot
though. London Hackspace's expenses are hinted at here:

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Budget

I am not sure that a large industrial unit¹ in Aldershot is going to
cost anywhere near £3,750/month.

But like London Hackspace, I recommend saying "the hackspace needs
an average of £x per member to survive. We ask that you pay what you
think the space is worth to you, to a minimum of £5/month". That way
you get free money from all the people who like the idea but
couldn't justify £20/month or whatever.

Cheers,
Andy

¹ LH has two units next to each other.