Re: [Hampshire] More Tape Weirdness - or Inexperience!

Author: James Dutton via Hampshire
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: James Dutton
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] More Tape Weirdness - or Inexperience!
On Tue, 8 Oct 2024 at 13:17, rmluglist2--- via Hampshire
<hampshire@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>

> OK – I’m not having much luck with these tape backups – a 20Tb HDD is looking very favourable right now but I’ll press on for the moment…
>

> Does anyone know why a (LTO4) drive would report a tape being full when “it isn’t”? It wrote about 470Gb perfectly well on a completely blank tape then errored out with “No space left on device” on a brand new (in cellophane) blank tape. I know this thanks to du -h on the source data and then reading the recorded data back with dd which reports the file size for every file it reads back on the tape.
>

> Any ideas anyone?

Have you been writing incremental backups or missed an initialisation
step that wipes an old tape and makes it ready for reuse.
LTO4 writes in a serpentine pattern. I think LTO4 is 4 passes needed
to fill the tape.
Most backup software will keep track of which tape has been used in
the past, and will not overwrite it unless told to.
So, normally the backup just "append" data to the tape, without
over-writing what went before.

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???