Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel
Tim wrote:
> I was looking through google a google search looking for something when I came
> across Iceweasel. For those not in the know this is the *GNU version of
> Firefox. Basicly Firefox come with some non-free software that does not
> conform to GNU. Debian etch will be getting Iceweasel 1.5.* (which is based
> on Firefox 1.5.*) sometime in December and not Firefox ver 2.0
>
> Surely linux is becoming the car sales lot of operating system, there enough
> distro and distro version of application software out there to confuse a geek
> (as the car sales lot confuses the car buyer). At least with windows you have
> a flat playing field (you several playing fields, 98, me, 2000, XP, 2003,
> Vista etc.), if you design a web app for windows IE you have a good chance
> that it will work on all versions of windows. Can you say the same for the
> various different distro of linux and all their idyosynchrocies(sp) I think
> by going down the Iceweasel route is just going to confuse the issue further.
> How many of us use purley true GNU software, I think the percentage is going
> to be small quite small.
>
> Firefox was the first Linux browser that really matched MS IE so why shoot
> yourself in the foot and build your own copy of it, its not going to be a
> development gain, its going to be an ethical choice
>
> Have fun discussing
>
> Tim

Hi Tim, I think you chose the wrong distro to try and break the GPL.
Perhaps you should move to Freespire (Lindows) :-) . You will just have
to download firefox direct from their website and agree to the license
terms. The APT application you love was written by people who believe if
FLOSS and maintained by the community so you can download for free. It
is up to Mozilla to align themselves with the open source community.

You have brought up an excellent topic though, thanks. We all need
reminding now and again why Free, Libre, Open Source software and the
GPL are so important and this is a real world example. If you want to be
tied in and pay for your software, even if some of it is crap, well use
the operating system that comes with you new PC (you don't really have a
choice, other than to say no to the license agreement and ask for you
money back, which there is no guarantee you'll get).

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk