Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel
> At least with windows you have
> a flat playing field (you several playing fields, 98, me, 2000, XP, 2003,
> Vista etc.), if you design a web app for windows IE you have a good chance
> that it will work on all versions of windows.

Tell me you're joking, please...

The last estimates I saw reckon that 13% of all websites will be broken by
the "upgrade" to IE7. And that, apparently, is a lower-than-expected
figure because many sites deliberately don't code for standards compliance
- they code to look right in various browsers. IE7 struggles with
standards, apparently...

> Can you say the same for the
> various different distro of linux and all their idyosynchrocies(sp)

I see *far* better repeatability between different Linux-based browsers...

> Firefox was the first Linux browser that really matched MS IE so why shoot
> yourself in the foot and build your own copy of it, its not going to be a
> development gain, its going to be an ethical choice

It's not about choice - it's about being forced into the decision. I'm
quite sure that everyone who builds IceWeasel packages would prefer to be
building them as FireFox - for all the reasons you've mentioned.

And if Mozilla would allow us to, we would.

Vic.