[Hampshire] Migrating from 32bit Debian to 64bit Debian

Author: John Hunt
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Migrating from 32bit Debian to 64bit Debian
I have a media PC or HTPC or whatever you want to call it, which has
the following spec:
600mhz pentium 3
Running Debian etch with a 2.6.16-2-686 kernel.

On that, I'm using freevo which in turn uses mplayer. The kind of
things I play on the media pc are mp3s, x264 (videolan) content and
divx/xvid video...and probably a couple of other things, but no
windows codecs.

What I'd quite like to avoid is having to set up my mediapc once
again..but still utilise all 64 bits on the new cpu.

Does anyone have any experience or advice in this area?

Thanks,
John.