Re: [Hampshire] Migrating from 32bit Debian to 64bit Debian

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Migrating from 32bit Debian to 64bit Debian
Hugo Mills wrote:

>> What I'd quite like to avoid is having to set up my mediapc once
>> again..but still utilise all 64 bits on the new cpu.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience or advice in this area?
>
>    If you want to convert from a 32-bit installation to a 64-bit one,
> I'm afraid your only option is to reinstall. However, you can make
> this a bit easier by backing up /etc/* before you do the
> reinstall.  You can also get the list of installed packages with:

> dpkg --get-selections >dpkg.selections
>
> and then after installing a basic system:
>
> dpkg --set-selection <dpkg.selections
> apt-get install
>
>    (At least, I think "apt-get install" will do it for you).

I have done this with my Debian box when creating a VMWare replica of it
on another machine. I used the instructions from "Can I clone an
existing Debian install on another machine?" on the Wiki [1] to do it.
They differ slightly to your suggestion Hugo, although if it is
significantly I would not know.

Sean

[1] http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/DebianTips