Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom DVB USB stick

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x572d6100.hantslug.org.uk.10088': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Nov 13 13:37:35 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:43:01AM +0000, Cayenne-uk wrote:
> Anyway, it works but with one major drawback! When staring Ubuntu from cold,
> the stick is not recognised, and it doesn't start! I've tried restarting,
> removing the stick and reinserting it, and starting with it removed and then
> inserting it, and still it doesn't start. The only way it will work is if I
> start Win XP, which does recognise and start the stick, and then reboot in
> Ubuntu. I am still green about the gills regarding Linux, but my guess is
> that it has something to do with mounting the device. But that is as far as
> my knowledge will go as I have no idea what to do next! Interestingly,
> Device Manager finds "something" at the USB port, but simply reports it as
> Unknown (0x0222).

It sounds like you're missing the firmware for it. Do you have the
firmware for the device in /lib/firmware?

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
               --- vi vi vi:  the Editor of the Beast. ---