[Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom DVB…

Author: Cayenne-uk
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom DVB USB stick
My first post to the new list so I'm hoping it gets there okay.

I have successfully got the Freecom DVB stick working using Kaffeine. This
is after (I think!) installing XINE, though with all the fiddling I did, I
can't be sure!

Anyway, it works but with one major drawback! When staring Ubuntu from cold,
the stick is not recognised, and it doesn't start! I've tried restarting,
removing the stick and reinserting it, and starting with it removed and then
inserting it, and still it doesn't start. The only way it will work is if I
start Win XP, which does recognise and start the stick, and then reboot in
Ubuntu. I am still green about the gills regarding Linux, but my guess is
that it has something to do with mounting the device. But that is as far as
my knowledge will go as I have no idea what to do next! Interestingly,
Device Manager finds "something" at the USB port, but simply reports it as
Unknown (0x0222).

Any ideas?

Kelvin