Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel

Author: Jamie Webb
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Iceweasel
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 03:04:15PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 02:45:06PM +0000, Jamie Webb wrote:
> > Ok, here's how I see it. Debian forked Firefox. Ages ago. They
> > fork a lot of packages to one degree or another. Mozilla gave
> > them two choices: either stop it, or admit that you've done that
> > by changing the name. They went for the latter. I think they
> > should have gone with the former. Simple.
>
> Which is NOT POSSIBLE without calling an end to the Debian project.

Nonsense. It's only not possible because Mozilla's approach got some
peoples' backs up. If Firefox was really non-free, what was it doing
in Debian in the first place? The license hasn't changed.

The existence of IceWeasel demonstrates that Firefox is indeed free,
by any standard other than the most literal-minded interpretation of
the DFSG. But it didn't need to exist to prove that.

-- Jamie Webb