Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom…

Author: Graeme Hilton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom DVB USBstick
Cayenne-uk wrote:

>        It sounds like you're missing the firmware for it. Do you have the
>     firmware for the device in /lib/firmware?

>        Hugo.

> Er, I don't think so. I notice that some of the forum threads have links
> to the firmware. But before I try to get and install it, will it update
> the firmware on the stick itself? It works fine under Win Xp, and I
> would hate for a firmware update to screw that side up!

>From what I can understand, USB DVB-T devices usually require the

firmware to be loaded each and every time they are powered up. They
have volatile memory that is blanked whenever they are unplugged or the
machine is switched off. From what I can surmise the firmware is loaded
by the Windows driver and then retained through the reboot (as the USB
ports do not lose power during this) and then Linux can see and use the
device as it is "fully loaded".

You may want to have a look around the linuxtv [1] website and see if
your device is supported and where to get the drivers from.

[1] http://www.linuxtv.org

--
Graeme Hilton