Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Getting Ubuntu 6.06 to recognise the Freecom DVB USBstick

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x581c9100.hantslug.org.uk.9176': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 16 03:27:06 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 09:50:52PM +0000, Graeme Hilton wrote:
> Cayenne-uk wrote:
> >
> >        It sounds like you're missing the firmware for it. Do you have the
> >     firmware for the device in /lib/firmware?

> > Er, I don't think so. I notice that some of the forum threads have links
> > to the firmware. But before I try to get and install it, will it update
> > the firmware on the stick itself? It works fine under Win Xp, and I
> > would hate for a firmware update to screw that side up!
>
> >From what I can understand, USB DVB-T devices usually require the
> firmware to be loaded each and every time they are powered up. They
> have volatile memory that is blanked whenever they are unplugged or the
> machine is switched off. From what I can surmise the firmware is loaded
> by the Windows driver and then retained through the reboot (as the USB
> ports do not lose power during this) and then Linux can see and use the
> device as it is "fully loaded".

This is indeed correct -- and the behaviour described above, with
Windows doing the initialisation, is what suggested to me that you
don't have the firmware on your Linux system.

> You may want to have a look around the linuxtv [1] website and see if
> your device is supported and where to get the drivers from.

Actually, Patrick Boettcher's USB DVB pages[1] are probably a
better bet.

Hugo.

[1] http://www.wi-bw.tfh-wildau.de/~pboettch/home/index.php?site=dvb-usb

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk