Re: [Hampshire] email query

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] email query

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x571b4100.hantslug.org.uk.13267': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Nov 17 22:57:16 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
john eayrs wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I have just discovered that I had 1000 emails in my ISP inbox. About 300 of
> these where undelivered emails returns from spam filters etc. The rest were
> spam. I was unaware of this because I was downloading jee at
> jesoftware.freeserve.co.uk. I only found out about this because their was a
> fault which prevented emails from totally coming down from the ISP.
>
> The undelivered emails were things like xjkl@??? or
> zdfg@??? of which there is no record on the ISP email
> accounts. Has anyone any suggestions of how I can deal with this.

It depends if your ISP will allow you to configure your mailbox to
reject or delete mail to unknown user names. Catchall addresses for
domains are generally a bad idea in this age of ever increasing spam.
You might be better off running your own mail server. Mail servers like
Postfix support an allowed list of addresses, with all other mail being
deleted.

Cheers,

Tony