Re: [Hampshire] email query

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] email query
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, john eayrs wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I have just discovered that I had 1000 emails in my ISP inbox. About 300 of
> these where undelivered emails returns from spam filters etc. The rest were
> spam. I was unaware of this because I was downloading jee at
> jesoftware.freeserve.co.uk. I only found out about this because their was a
> fault which prevented emails from totally coming down from the ISP.
>
> The undelivered emails were things like xjkl@??? or
> zdfg@??? of which there is no record on the ISP email
> accounts. Has anyone any suggestions of how I can deal with this.

I wish I could answer this, but I'm afraid I'm adding a plea for more
help/advice, too.

One of the penalties of having been on the internet so long is that your
e-mail and domain information gets everywgere. I have several domains
and most of them get spammed. I have external blockers set fairly
aggressively at my ISPs, I have a total block on bounces via one ISP, I
have filtering in postfix, spamassassin and procmail. All that filtering
means that _only_ atround 2000 spams and bounces a day hit my PC and of
those _only_ around 100 get through to my mailer.

Goodness only knows what I lose that wasn't spam. I'm now deleting mails
almost without reading either the sender or the subject. I now use
e-mail so little, because it's becoming unusable, that I'm pretty much
thinking of binning the whole concept.

Is there anything else I can sensibly do to control this, or do I just
throw in the towel and becoem an internet hermit?

The next thing I can do is to bin all daemon bounces. But I'm _trying_
to keep a sensible contact and actually I'd like to know if real mail
bounces :-(.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.