Re: [Hampshire] Demo talks

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Demo talks

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58603100.hantslug.org.uk.11571': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Nov 17 23:04:17 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
john lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:55:12 +0000
> Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:
>
>> That's the theory yes. We generally manage it pretty well. :) It
>> depends on the laptop, as some don't enable the external display by
>> default, but ThinkPads shouldn't be a problem. Or someone could
>> provide a VM on their laptop to facilitate the demo.
>
> The flat screen display I acquired today was connected to my Thinkpad
> when I got it home and became the default display when I booted the
> TP.
>
> It seems to be fine in text mode but when I tried to run X got an
> error message, looks like the default xorg.conf setup for the
> internal screen will need the tweaking before I can use an
> external screen.

It might be worth checking the BIOS for relevant options.

> So this is likely to be the case with the projector but no doubt
> someone knows what is required.
>
> I don't know if this can be done the way dual screens are set up in
> xorg with screen 1 and screen 2 settings. If so this would be a neat
> way of doing it.

It depends on your graphics card. I only have a single monitor section
in my ThinkPad's xorg.conf yet the external port duplicates the main
screen without configuration.

Cheers,

Tony