Re: [Hampshire] Demo talks

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Demo talks
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:17:18 +0000
"Victor Churchill" <victorchurchill@???> wrote:

> > Jamies my old IBM PC for their museum. They only have an XT system
> > box at present so if they can get this mine working they will have
> > one of the very early IBM PCs (it has a 64K motherboard) to go
> > with an original Mac and other bits and pieces. Nick wants a Vax
> > (I think that's what he said) for the museum if anyone has such a
> > beast lying around unused.
>
> Wow! That's the first I have heard of "Jamies' Museum"! Any chance
> of a page on the wiki or on JCC page about it? Then I could go look
> in the 'puter graveyard in my cellar and see if there's anything
> there that could be used...

The 'physical' museum is very new but Nick said many moons ago that
they wanted to set one up so they have put aside any interesting
items they have been given with a museum in mind.

At present it is two or three tables at the far end of the Sales
Room (another fairly new innovation) with a few of the old system
displayed with some descriptive material to explain their
significance.

So if you have a vax lurking in your cellar I'm sure Nick will be
more than happy to give it a home.

Incidentally whilst I was there this morning I asked it they had any
IBM clacky keyboards in stock, they did have a few but to my horror
the price has gone up from a fiver to £20, because they are now
'rare'.

I am going to dig out the old one with sticky keys that is lurking
under my desk and give it a soaking under the hot tap to see if I can
bring it back to life :-)

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application