Re: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?
On Thursday 16 November 2006 18:35, john lewis wrote:
> Whilst looking for something else I found an invoice dated 1 Nov 1994
> for a copy of 'DR Linux' and another invoice dated 27 Nov 1994 for a
> subscription to 'Linux Journal'
>
> So my use of Linux certainly dates from 1994 even if I can't prove I
> used it earlier but I did buy a copy of 'Linux FT' in Aug 1995
> (all the above from Lasermoon in Fareham) which suggests I was
> using another distro before then which I am fairly certain was
> installed from floppy disks.
>
> I swapped to RedHat 5.0 in Apr 1998 with the purchase of a box set
> from The Linux Emporium for £40. I also got a copy of StarOffice
> 4.0 the same month and this cost me £10. Wordperfect 8 arrived in
> Jun 1999.
>
> Then followed Mandrake 7.2 in Jan 2001updated to ver 8.0 in Dec
> 2001.
>
> I then got Debian Woody, 7 CD-ROM set, in Feb 2002 thus ending
> forever my need to buy Linux software :-)
>
> --
> John Lewis
> Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application

No a 100% sure but I had a mag cover disk with a version of red hat (4 or 5?)
on it, which I installed and it ran, not that I knew what to do with it. I
did try getting x installed but failed. I then remember Caldera releasing
Caldera Open Linux (which was 97) and trying to find it in the shops. Shortly
after this I bought the boxed set of Suse Linux 6, followed by 7 and 7.2. I
then got copies of the CD of Suse 8 (all 8 CD). I then got fed up with the
rpm hell and jumped ship to debian. I still run Debian today but have been
looking at other Debian based distro, can't get on with K\Ubuntu, currently
playing with Mepis (which I know is ubuntu based).

Tim