Re: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?
Tim wrote:
> On Thursday 16 November 2006 18:35, john lewis wrote:
>
>>Whilst looking for something else I found an invoice dated 1 Nov 1994
>>for a copy of 'DR Linux' and another invoice dated 27 Nov 1994 for a
>>subscription to 'Linux Journal'

IIRC
While I worked at Cray, a good friend was porting "linux" to a DEC PDP11
he had at home - just for the hell of it. I was at Cray for ~4 years
and have been at PIG for well over 10 years so memory is somewhat
blurred and I may have the linux bit wrong but it was the first
I had heard of linux.

I used mini based unixen precursors at uni a *long* time before that.
IIRC we had the first (semi stable) rels of VMS at the same time :-)

Jacqui