Re: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?

Top Page
Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58042100.hantslug.org.uk.10168': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 16 19:54:05 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key C0CFC6B3CD4C0D9D

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 06:35:19PM +0000, john lewis wrote:

> Whilst looking for something else I found an invoice dated 1 Nov 1994
> for a copy of 'DR Linux' and another invoice dated 27 Nov 1994 for a
> subscription to 'Linux Journal'

I first saw Linux and Unix in '94 when attending Edinburgh
university. (I'm one of those physicist/cs students who dropped out
and got lucky!)

My first installation was Slackware (96? 97?), which struggled
on my machine but eventually managed to run X11. Netscape would
take a couple of minutes to start, with much swapping, but was
usable once it was actually started!

After that I upgraded to Redhat 4.2, which I only managed to get
because it was on the cover of some Linux magazine. The slackware
installation was conducted via a huge stack of floppies which were
downloaded and ferried home from the University computer labs.

(More than once I remember installing/reinstalling the system
because I had bad floppies.)

Eventually I upgraded to RedHat 5.0, and suffered much breakage.
This led to the installation of Debian which I've stuck with ever
since. (Even now I have no patience for distributions which require
re-installation rather than upgrading in place. I just don't see
the point...)

So I guess I'm coming up to ten years of Linux use. I've certainly
been Windows free for at least six years. (Although I was using
Windows 2000 under Qemu for a while, specifically so that I could
use the fancy software interface to my mobile phone.)

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration
http://www.debian-administration.org/