Re: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?

----- Original Message -----
From: "john lewis" <johnlewis@???>
To: <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:35 PM
Subject: [Hampshire] How long have you been using Linux?

Whilst looking for something else I found an invoice dated 1 Nov 1994
for a copy of 'DR Linux' and another invoice dated 27 Nov 1994 for a
subscription to 'Linux Journal'

So my use of Linux certainly dates from 1994 even if I can't prove I
used it earlier but I did buy a copy of 'Linux FT' in Aug 1995
(all the above from Lasermoon in Fareham) which suggests I was
using another distro before then which I am fairly certain was
installed from floppy disks.

I swapped to RedHat 5.0 in Apr 1998 with the purchase of a box set
from The Linux Emporium for £40. I also got a copy of StarOffice
4.0 the same month and this cost me £10. Wordperfect 8 arrived in
Jun 1999.

Then followed Mandrake 7.2 in Jan 2001updated to ver 8.0 in Dec
2001.

I then got Debian Woody, 7 CD-ROM set, in Feb 2002 thus ending
forever my need to buy Linux software :-)

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application

1994 - I can't top that. I was Solaris / HP-UX 1992-1997, then a brief
hyatus but my mate sent me Slackware 2.1 on CD in October 1998. Stuck with
Slackware until comparatively recently - 2004 then (because of this list
mainly) gave Debian a try. I'm now more Ubuntu than Debian but my cluster
still runs Slackware 7.1

FWIW, the first time I'd ever heard of Linux was 1996 when one of my
lecturers (a trilingual (German, French but obviously lectured in English)
economist who was widely regarded as the best at Maths in the Economics
department became the Economics department's computing rep. - he had SuSE
running XEarth and happily printing to the Dept's PS network printer) - a
fairly intelligent chap I think you'll agree! [The only reason I mention
this is imagine how awkward running X and printing PS files to a network
printer would have been back in 1996]

Cheers
Rob