Re: [Hampshire] Network numpty

Author: Jamie Webb
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Network numpty - thank you
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network numpty
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:00:44AM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> So the second IP can be entered in a ppp file and that provides the second
> interface? And one needs two cables (one going to the internet/adsl and one
> going to the private network?

Something like that, yes.

> Presumably, if instead of a modem, one has a single port "router", with an
> RJ45 connection (which most people advocate with Linux rather than an adsl
> modem), then one needs two interfaces - i.e. 2 cards - and two separate cat5
> cables going to the 2 separate NICs/interfaces?

Yes.

> The "aboutdebian website says
>
> <quote>Adding A Second Network Card
>
> Setting up a proxy or firewall system requires that the system have two NICs
> so you would have to add a second network card to your existing networked
> Debian system. If you want to use a Linux system as a router you would have a
> system with multiple NICs, one for each of the subnets you wish to
> interconnect. </quote>
>
> Is this in fact wrong?

It's not exactly wrong. You need two NICs (in practice). It's just
that one of those might be a PCI/USB ADSL modem rather than a regular
ethernet card.

> (Sorry - I was one of those involved in the debate and I was saying that I
> could not understand how one network card could handle 2 IPs and 2
> interfaces. I'm afraid I still don't. :-( Perhaps someone could show me at
> the next BaB.)

It's possible to alias an interface so it responds to more than one
IP, but it's really not a good idea in this situation. Not worth
worrying about unless you want to get into virtualization or virtual
hosting.

-- Jamie Webb