Re: [Hampshire] Network numpty

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network numpty

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58600100.hantslug.org.uk.2996': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Nov 20 06:44:56 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
Jamie Webb wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 11:43:22PM +0000, Cayenne-uk wrote:
>> I am involved in a debate regarding the number of nics needed on a Linux
>> server.
>>
>> The Scenario: Two or more PCs need to be connected on a LAN. A PC will be
>> set up as a server, providing email, firewall, files etc. So all internet
>> traffic from the other PCs should of course go through the server, connected
>> up through a hub. A fairly standard set up. Obviously the server would have
>> to address the IPs of the internal LAN, as well as deal with the external
>> ISP connection.
>>
>> The question is - how is all this normally wired up? More specifically, must
>> the server have two network ports (ie nics)? (One for the LAN via the hub,
>> and one to connect to the ADSL), or can the ADSL connection AND the LAN be
>> handled through one network port?
>
> In principal you can use a single NIC and it will work, but it's a
> very bad idea, mainly for security reasons. The standard and strongly
> recommended approach is to use two.

In principal it's a bad idea to combine the service roles (e-mail, file
serving) with security (firewall). It's a much better plan to use
different boxes. For a small network, the firewall box can be an *very*
old PC.

If you have an ADSL card (PCI) or a USB ADSL modem, then that negates
the need for a second NIC.

Cheers,

Tony