Re: [Hampshire] [OT] SCART switches?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] SCART switches?
m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> Quoting Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???>:
>
>> Sean Gibbins wrote:
>>> Cheers guys, my wife told me such thing might exist, now I know it
>>> wasn't the product of a deranged fantasy on her part!
>>>
>>> Sean
>>>
>> Don't just buy the cheapest one though -- they vary a lot in quality,
>> and that affects the quality of the signal that they let through. After
>> a couple of failures (one bought in the Co-op for £3, one in a 'serious'
>> TV shop for £16), I'm now successfully using a three-way one called a
>> Pro-con 101SB that I found in Robert Dyas of all places for £10. There
>> are much more expensive ones around too.
>
> I would agree with the above from my knowledge of rf aerials when you split it
> into 2 you get half the signal so i expect that would happen with the scart.
> Maybe a powered scart splitter would be better quality? The multi video/dvd my
> parents have bought and they are both pants. You really pay for the convienience
> of it and since they are cheap to start with you end up with a bad video and a
> bad dvd player.
>
> Scart splitter is the way to go but the quality will be affected.

Cheers chaps, noted!

It's perhaps worth mentioning that the quality of the picture before we
put the digibox in was utterly crap (nearly unwatchable imo), and very
good afterwards. I think that even a 25% reduction in the quality of the
current signal will leave them way ahead of where they were before, and
£10-20 isn't such a huge investment to get them to this point.

Sean