Re: [Hampshire] Network numpty

Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network numpty
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 08:00:44AM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> The "aboutdebian website says
> <quote>Adding A Second Network Card

> Setting up a proxy or firewall system requires that the system have two NICs
> so you would have to add a second network card to your existing networked
> Debian system. If you want to use a Linux system as a router you would have a
> system with multiple NICs, one for each of the subnets you wish to
> interconnect. </quote>

> Is this in fact wrong?

Yes this is wrong.

You can have subnets presented on different VLANs all on the same
ethernet port for instance if you have moderately clever switches.

Also, even without VLANs, you can alias different subnets to different
interfaces (e.g. eth0:lan eth0:wifi or whatever), VLANs are just neater
in that (the right) switches can do magic to separate them out to
different ports.

You can also have a firewall between say a PPP interface and a LAN so
you don't need two physical network cards really you just need some
combination of network interfaces.

Linux has all sorts of marvellous ways of blurring these boundaries.

--
 _        huggie@???      -+*+-     fou, con et anglais      _
(_)           "I get mail; therefore I am." - Dilbert            (_)