Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] Laptop Suitability

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Going [OT] was Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] Laptop Suitability
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] Laptop Suitability
Peter Salisbury wrote:
> On Saturday 18 November 2006 16:00, Sean Gibbins wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>My brother-in-law has asked me to get him a laptop, and I have seen
>>an IBM T23 (spec below) at Sterling XS for £270. I recall that the
>>older IBM lappies are pretty much sussed as far as Linux goes, so
>>I'll probably sling Ubuntu on it for him. The one thing that
>>bothers me is the price, which is not a million miles away from
>>some branded newer machines. His needs are pretty straightforward,
>>so is this good value?
>>
>>Any thoughts on this, or indeed suggestions of alternative machines
>>and/or suppliers?
>>
>>Sean
>>
>>[1] http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/scpages/refurbishedlaptops.htm
>>
>>IBM THINKPAD T23 with DVD
>>Corporate quality refurbished slimline notebook (weighs just 2.1kg
>>& 3.3cm thin), powered by an Intel PIII 1.13 ghz processor,
>>includes 512MB RAM, 40GB hard drive, DVD drive, modem & network
>>Intel Pentium III mobile 1.13 ghz processor
>>512MB RAM
>>40GB hard drive
>>14.1'' TFT screen (1024x768)
>>Integral DVD drive
>>S3 savage video,
>>Crystal soundfusion WM audio
>>UK keyboard layout
>>Trackpoint pointing device
>>56k modem & 10/100 network
>>S-video, Parallel & Serial ports
>>2x USB ports
>>VGA and PS2 ports
>>2x Type II PCMCIA slots
>>Li-ion battery & AC adaptor/charger
>>refurbished, with 90 days RTB warranty
>

> Get it! Support for Linux on thinkpads is excellent and build quality
> superb. I think we should all support manufacturers who, however
> tentatively, get behind Linux development. My Thinkpad is a reliable
> workhorse and all the Fn buttons work 'out of the box' including
> hibernate to disk. I use Debian myself but Googling indicates most
> distros work fine.

My acer was 399 a goo dfew years ago is ~1.5GHz and reputedly runs linux
well - it wouks well with a live CD for me. I think the book price for
the next model up is now 299 so ~270 for a s/h box with less of
everything does not sound too good to me. Take a trip to a big staples
such as reading and see if they have anything on offer (they are
horrific at advertising online - you only see the bargains in the
paper). For me I plan to look after xmas for the 'discounts'.

IMHO this is the time to buy caravans not PC's :-)