Re: [Hampshire] Screencasting

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Screencasting
On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 06:15:41PM +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> > Can anyone who has exposure to newbies please help me by telling me what they get asked most often? What things do you think
> > newbies want to see demoed? What would you like to see shown? Any other suggestions are welcome.
>
> I found learning what happens during the boot process very helpful
> when I was learning. I discovered that by reading the "Power on to
> Bash Prompt HOWTO" [1]

Funny you should say that. I kinda have that planned in my 'bluffers guide' (name will likely
change) one. [0]

> I don't know how relevant that is today, but an understanding of
> what is going on under the hood is useful.

I agree. I often speak to people who clearly don't know which bit does what, and are confused by all
the new terms. Something that takes them from initial boot up to their desktop (and a little beyond)
would be most valuable.

> Maybe once you have
> exhausted all the 'beginner' topics, this could be a good
> 'intermediate' topic.

Yeah, I'm not sure whether to start mixing things up yet to cater for a wider audience - doing some
beginner and some intermediate ones. Or whether to just stick to the beginner ones first, and move
on later.

> Failing that, maybe I could give it a go
> creating one of these screen casts :-)

That would be great! If you need any help give me a shout - I've used most of the tools out there :)

Cheers,
Al.

[0] http://popey.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VideoDemos/BluffersGuide

> [1]http://tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html