[Hampshire] Wireless confusion!

Author: John Hunt
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Wireless confusion!
I recently upgraded my media pc thing to an AMD64... I've had to
reinstall debian etch. I'm having difficulty with my rt2500 wireless
card. Everything seems fine, yet it just won't 'work'. I have the card
showing in iwconfig and ifconfig, and all the settings appear fine.
I've ran 'route' to see if the kernel routing tables are ok..they're
fine (same as my laptop):

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1

The rt2500 module is loading fine compiled fine using module-assistant etc..

It's strange because I did have it working for a bit, but then it'd
just 'stop' working..nothing in dmesg etc..quite weird.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try? I double checked
setup guides, tried by just pinging my wireless router etc.. very
strange.

I'm thinking perhaps there's something quirky going on..

I'm not using any encryption or anything like that at all. And I have
wireless-tools installed and stuff.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
John.