[Hampshire] Ubuntu on USB disk/iPod

Author: Chris Aitken
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Ubuntu on USB disk/iPod
Hi All,

There is a French company selling a verion of Ubuntu for installation
on an iPod [1]. From my mangled grasp of French, it looks like the
iPod is used as a USB disk from which Linux runs on a host PC. It also
looks like they provide a boot CD to get round the non-USB initrd
issue.

I must admit I'm interested in using my iPod as a USB disk this way,
as I still have about 20Gb free on mine. I wonder if there is any way
to do this without repartitioning the hard disk (creating an empty
10Gb or so file for a ramdisk?).

Can any budding Francophone give me more info.
Has anyone here successfully installed Ubuntu onto an external
USB/Firewire HDD (I may yet buy an external disk).

Cheers,
Chris

[1] http://zinside.com/podinux-p-164.html