Re: [Hampshire] Re: [OT] Timelines: User viewpoint of data

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: [OT] Timelines: User viewpoint of data

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5799c100.hantslug.org.uk.19399': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Nov 20 13:47:14 2006 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:39:43PM +0000, Jim Kissel wrote:

> In most western countries, if I were to display a timeline image, in the
> horizontal orientation, the oldest date(s) is on the left and newest
> date(s) can be found to the right side of the image.
>
> What is the best order, when displaying data in a vertical image?
> Oldest at top, newest/latest a bottom, or the reverse?

It depends on what you want to present. If it's a history of
something, or a reference work, where the reader is expected to read
the full content in chronological order, or to look up sections based
on date, put the oldest at the top. If it's a status display where
people will come back to it and want to see what's new, put the newest
at the top.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- The English language has the mot juste for every occasion. ---