Re: [Hampshire] [OT] has anyone got XP

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] has anyone got XP
** hantslug@??? <hantslug@???> [2006-11-21 15:48]:
> There has been some mention on this list recently of people getting XP with a
> new machine and not so much as opening the packet or booting up. Does anyone
> have an unopened pack of XP home that (s)he would be willing to sell? And if
> so, for how much?

** end quote [hantslug@???]

I do hope not, doubly so now we are a public list :) Any XP that came
with a PC is only licensed for use on that PC by virtue of being an OEM
license that MS sell at a reduced price (and even more reduced to the
likes of Dell). Technically if the machine fails and the motherboard has
to be replaced the XP license becomes invalid. From some reading I did a
week or so ago it looks like the Vista license goes even further
blocking running on software like VMWare (for some versions) and
restricting benchmarking too! My last laptop came with Windows 2000 from
the Dell outlet and had two license stickers on it. This was apparently
because the first owner had accepted the license so Dell had to provide
a new one when they resold it. MS really have things wrapped up when it
comes to selling you the same thing lots of times for no real added
benefit!!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com