Re: [Hampshire] [OT] has anyone got XP

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] has anyone got XP
hantslug@??? wrote:
> There has been some mention on this list recently of people getting XP with a
> new machine and not so much as opening the packet or booting up. Does anyone
> have an unopened pack of XP home that (s)he would be willing to sell? And if
> so, for how much?

Be careful Lisi, some OEM licenses are tied in to a particular hardware
manufacturer, so buying a Dell CD to run on a home-built machine might
end up with you unable to use it should you connect to MS for updates, etc.

I had this with a copy that was supplied to me with a Dell laptop. I
sold the laptop sans OS, and installed on my desktop. That was fine for
several months until Windows Genuine Advantage was installed as part of
an update and the machine became unusable due to the fact that I would
not be able to get a new license code from Windows to re-enable it.
Fortunately I had Ghosted the install and separated my data, so I was
able to recover. The error from WGA was quite specific in that it
highlighted the fact that the CD and code I had installed from was
supplied with Dell hardware and the machine it was currently running on
wasn't!

Sean